View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 04:39 PM  
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Aggression after separating brother and sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I think if the other one gave birth she must be the female I think hamsters do have emotions - it has been a big change so stressful but also his Fatherly instinct has been curbed. Father hamsters help the Mother look after the babies when they're in together and are very helpful - so no doubt his hormones are raging. However they also mate with the Mother again immediately so he needed removing.

As the others say - give him time to settle - just as you would when bringing a new hamster home to their new cage. Two or three days left alone, and no clean outs for the first couple of weeks.

Distraction may help too - scatter feeding a bit as well as food in his bowl. Hiding treats in different parts of the cage. Try and only put food out when he's asleep (ie do it earlier in the day?) so he doesn't get stressed by your hand coming in.

Adding extra enrichment etc can help but no major changes to the cage. They tend to accept something new being added but don't like anything moved or taken away.

Loads of substrate and a chew stick and plenty of floor toys and hidey places may help - assume he has a wheel or flying saucer. Sometimes playing soft music calms them as well Ours like childrens nursery rhymes and some classical music. Judy Garland and "Over the Rainbow" always goes down well
Sorry I completely missed that part! Clearly my brain isn't working tonight
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote