View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 04:14 AM  
Kasey
Newborn Pup

Default Aggression after separating brother and sister

Hi there,

The pet shop accidentally sold me male and female Russian Dwarf hamsters instead of 2 females. They were best friends and did everything together. I soon realised they were male and female after they began mating. I had to remove the male immediately.

Since giving him a new cage, he has been very aggressive towards me. He already was timid, and hissed here and there when he was with his sister. But now, I can't even feed him without him biting me. Every time I softly talk to him and put my had in to feed him, he will run out and bite my finger hard to the point of me bleeding.

He loves his new little coconut home and now he hardly comes out from there (except to get some food and to attack me). He rarely exercises and doesn't make use of any other platform or part of his cage.

Is it possible that he is sad without his sister? Is it possible that he resents me for removing him from his mate (who just give birth the other day)? Any advice as to how I can get him to trust me and be more active, as I fear that his lack of exercise may be unhealthy for him.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote