View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 AM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Suitable Wheel Ikea Detolf

I usually wouldn't recommend a detolf for a Syrian because it's really not tall enough, but it can work. I would personally build a raised 'topper' lid but flat ones are much easier.
Here's my flat lid if it helps, they're very easy to make: http://www.hamstercentral.com/commun...49-post68.html

The internal height will depend on how you make your lid. Mine rests on the metal bar inside which gives a max wheel height of 31cm. Unfortunately that rules out the 12" silent runner. The senior (27cm) wodent wheels do fit I think but only in extremely shallow bedding. I'm not sure what the height of the 28cm trixie wooden wheel is but that's also a possibility.

If you made the lid to fit on top of the glass instead of the bar, it would really help. It's not that different to my version - make the lid a bit wider so it overhangs the width of the cage and then stick two planks of wood lengthways so those rest on the bars instead. That'll give an extra couple centimetres. The plastic trixie wheel would fit then.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote