Thread: Newt's thread
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 03:32 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Newt's thread

Newt is getting quite independent and very active in his older age. I kind of like this change in their personalities around this age. He seems less scared of things - more confidence - and the beginnings of "grumpy old man"

He is telling me who is boss regarding hoards and potties. Quite clearly he did not like having somehting that could be lifted out and removed (when he had decided to stash his favourite bits in his potty) so instead of me training him not to do that, he has removed the facility to remove it!

The other night we had quite a conversation through the bars where he stared me out, listened and then I got the back treatment where he walked into his house. This was in response to have his teeth checked a couple of nights before! He didn't like that!

Tonight he came out and pouched a lot of pumpkin seeds which kept him happy then went back to his cage to depouch then, as expected, wanted to be out again once he'd done his foraging and hoarding.

Lots of antics late at night. Firstly he nipped my finger! My own fault, I had just been eating brazil nuts and must have smelled like a brazil nut. I was still eating them so he ran up to my face and I had to so NO you are not going in there to get brazil nuts!

Brazil nuts rapidly swallowed and hands washed. It was quite late and Newt was super active on the sofa. He now has no fear of jumping off! Or rather climbing down upside down and dropping - so have to keep an eye on him. He ran up inside my sleeve and out the top then round the back of my neck and down inside my top! Eeek! Little claws sticking in me as he climbed down my back in an upside down mode then appeared back on the sofa and ran into a blanket so we had a moving blanket for a while!

Unfortunately, as I have no idea where he is peeing and it's getting whiffy I shall have to do some spot cleaning and he won't like that either! May put the other potty in supported on something so it can't be moved. He has lots of hoards I think and plenty of space for them in his house so hopefully he won't hoard special things in the potty again!

As a final treat I gave him a new whimzee toothbrush with some sunflower seeds stuck into it and he attacked it yanking the sunflower seeds out then picked up the whimzee and carried it to his nest. He loves his food!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote