View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 03:28 PM  
AliceJayne
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Taming a very skittish jumpy hamster - Need help!

Hello, so although I wrote that last reply 6 days ago we have not made any progress at all, in fact we have gone backwards

He has become even more jumpy when I try and stroke him, and occasionally wont even take treats from between my fingers. He also chatters at me more now.

This evening has been completely disastrous. I tried him in his playpen for the third time, as all the other evenings he didn't wake up till much later or when he was awake I could tell he wasn't in the mood. I transported him from his cage by his ball which he loves hopping into to, and he seemed okay in the playpen at first, but wouldn't take any treats from my hands at all. Then he kept freezing, the first one lasted almost 5 minutes. I left him alone whilst keeping a close eye on him and once he came round I put his ball into the playpen to put him back into his cage and he would not go into it, which he usually runs over to.

I am currently sat next to his playpen as he has been in there for over 40 minutes now. He will not go into his ball, keeps freezing and trying to escape. He is so skittish that the slightest noise is sending him crazy and he is trying to leap out of the playpen! He has also been excessively grooming and scratching behind his wheel. I tried to move the wheel very slowly after about 20 mins as I was having no luck in getting him out and he went crazy running around and around his cage.

I literally don't know what to do right now, it currently looks like I will have to keep him in his playpen tonight and add some food and water.

Any advice at all would be helpful regarding taming him in future
AliceJayne is offline   Reply With Quote