View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 09:03 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Hamster runs around edge of cage and jumps to try and get out

Could you put your cage on a table or something? I think it can be quite intimidating for them if there on the floor & you can't really approach without looming over them which is a bit scary for a prey animal! They also pick up a lot more vibrations & sound on the floor than if raised up.
I would put a lot more substrate in, as much as you possibly can, if you can mesh the lid then you can safely have things higher up without having to worry about escapes.
Substrate needs to be a minimum of about 15cm really preferably more.
I would put more toys/hideouts in too as there is rather a lot of open space at the moment.
Things like cork tunnels or tubes, more bendy bridges, coconut houses or even just cardboard boxes, egg boxes with a hole cut in each end are really fun for them if you put some substrate in & hide food or treats inside. (only the card boxes not the plastic ones).
When to start taming depends a lot on the individual ham, give him time to settle, that may a few days or a week or more & during that time just sit with him & talk to him so he gets used to you being around then move on to introducing your hand, go slow & don't try to rush things.
Do you have a sand bath in there? I can't really tell but sand bath with chinchilla sand (not dust) is really important for them.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote