View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 AM  
Savannagh
Hamster Pup

Default Hamster scared when not in bed

I've had Sammy, a male Syrian, since late May. Initially he was scared of everything. He's improved a lot since then, but if I surprise him when he's not in his bed, he gets really scared.

So, for example, if I hear him get up to drink I speak to him. Then he freezes, trembles and eventually runs back to his bed to hide. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I keep talking to him or stay quiet, he'll run back to bed after about the same amount of time. It doesn't make a difference if there's background noise (eg TV).

When he's frozen, if I offer him a treat he might decide to take it after a while, or he might not. More often than not he's run off at the sound of me getting a treat out.

And yet, if I speak to him when he's in bed he'll be fine. During the summer he slept under his platform, so I could see him stick his head up and listen. And if I offer him a treat he'll come out and get it. During taming he's got as far as putting his two front paws on me to get a treat or just to sniff my hand. And when he's not scared he'll come to the front of his cage to see if I'm going to offer him any food.

I just don't know what to do about him being scared when I surprise him when he's out of bed. He's just so different to my previous hamster who was fearless.
Savannagh is offline   Reply With Quote