View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 05:54 AM  
aimsdavies
Newborn Pup

Question Screaming Hamster

Hiya!

I’m home ill from school today and was on the computer doing school work when I heard the most awful noise. I am home alone for the moment, so it gave me quite a scare since I thought something or someone was in the house. I timidly went to investigate the noise when I found it was coming from my hamster, Puff’s, cage. I cannot describe the noise she was making. I can only describe it as when a baby is crying so hard they begin to scream. Extremely worried and scared, I gently tapped on her cage and called her name. After a minute or so, the screaming ceased and she -I assume- went back into a comfortable sleep.
I quickly Googled what in the world had happened and found that hamsters can have night terrors and nightmares, which is what I presume this was. I gently woke her up straight after and she came out timidly but looking fine, no injuries that I could see. She came up to the front of the cage that I was sat by and sniffed my hand through the bars. I gave her a small amount of food and a treat and she went back into her nest.
This is the first time that I have witnessed my hamster doing such a thing. Is it a regular thing? Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with it if it repeats?
Thank you!
- Aimee