View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 11:36 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: advice? he hates coming out!

Our Robo is similar - I haven't had the time to put into intensively trying to tame either. But he is happy left alone in his cage - he just runs and hides if a hand appears (or anything moves). It is frustrating because when he did have some out of cage time he loved it - it was just getting him out! Freaked him out. I think it's a case of time, patience and a bit of effort sometimes and leaving them to themselves other times. Ours will sit and listen if I talk to him - I think that's as close as he'll get to interaction.

They vary in personality and previous life experiences but generally robos are timid and scared and also very fast! If he is bar biting that is a shame - ours doesn't do that - he did it for a couple of days in the summer when it was very hot.

If you think he likes being out could you rig up a long tube from the cage to a playpen area so he comes out himself? Depends on the cage - not sure I could do that actually.

Cleaning and changing things can stress them and lead to bar biting so don't over clean - weekly cleans aren't necessary - you can go weeks with a robo - they pee such tiny amounts and I reckon most of it evaporates.

Sorry he reacts to sand. They don't really need it and will groom themselves.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote