View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 09:21 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Just wanting advise on choosing between syrians and russian dwarfs please

I personally think Syrians are easier to tame All hamsters can be jumpy. A lot depends on a) their personality b) their experiences prior to you getting them (some have been handled roughly for example) and c) a bit of time and patience with inital taming - and you'd get a lot of help with that on here.

I think partly a Syrian is easier to tame purely due to them being a bit larger and easier to handle generally. Some dwarf hamster owners may disagree!

Also with children around they probably will want to hold the hamster sometimes and Syrians are a bit easier I reckon - and less likely to be injured by the child accidentally. I had to constantly supervise our 6 year old when we had our last syrian - they tend to try and hang on to them when they move.

What you could do possibly is get a hamster from a rescue. They will know which of the hamsters is placid and/or hand tame already, whether it's a syrian or a dwarf

Baby hamsters are always very zippy!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote