View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 AM  
astrid
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hamster biting his cage bars after being brought back home from pet-sitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
It's not unusual to see behavioural changes after you've been away, it's only been a few days so I would think he will settle down again soon enough, try to ignore the bar chewing as much as you can & only pay attention when it stops to help prevent it becoming an attention seeking habit.
If you don't already scatter feed rather than using a bowl & hide some of his food & treats in little cardboard parcels or toilet roll treat toys so he has to work to find it, that may help distract him. Does he have whimzees to chew on? If not that's another thing that might help.
Thank you so much for your considerate reply Cypher! Sorry, I didn't write back sooner, but I have seen your reply the very next morning on my way to work. I have started to scatter feed a portion of Pippin's food since then and put in a few cardboard parcels with treats (he has been going crazy for these). I've also just got him a whimzee again (I tried it initially when I got him, and Pippin hasn't been interested, but just in case he changed his mind).

You were right, Pippin has settled down. And I am so relieved about it. He has never been fully tame, but now we have reverted back to our old relationship of him coming to the bars and being all cute and adorable, and me giving him treats
astrid is offline   Reply With Quote