View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 09:07 AM  
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title

Talking All About My Treacle

This is a little someone who I had planned to introduce to you all before Maple unexpectedly got ill and passed away – it didn’t feel right to post until now as I have been worried about her possible catching what Maple had but so far she has remained healthy.

_________

This has been almost 9 years in the waiting – I have finally got another Russian. She is my 9th Hamster but only 3rd Russian. I am so happy to have her and she bringing back so many wonderful memories of owning Russians – like rolling in the sand!

I adopted Treacle on Friday 31st August, she is a female Russian “hybrid” and is an elderly lady at approximately 1 year and 6 months (possibly older). I have a huge soft spot for elderly animals and so I feel in love. I have no idea of how long Treacle will be with me but I will spoil her every day with love, treats and cuddles. Her previous owner gave Treacle up (Treacle wasn’t her name before I adopted her) as they didn’t want to pay for vet treatment for a tumour/mass on Treacle lip to be removed – this was all taken care off before I adopted her though. Due to the procedure of removing her tumour she has a little part of her lip missing but I think it makes her even more adorable. As already mentioned I did rename her, as I didn’t like her previous name and it didn’t fit my theme that I use for naming my hamsters.

Unlike my past Russians Honey and Caramel, Treacle is friendly and is happy to be held although she still getting familiar with my scent so is more relaxed being held now than she was when I brought her home. Despite Treacle’s age she is very active and energetic even though she has some slight stiffness in her hips but that doesn’t slow her down in the slightest – as she runs very fast in her wheel which make a dreadful racket at night (as my 8” Trixie wheel is a bit old so I need to invest in a new wheel for her). Another thing she has been loving doing is creating lots of secret tunnels in her fitch – there are various tunnel entrance scattered across her cage but I don’t have any idea where most of them lead apart from the one under her wheel which leads to her nest – which is beneath the fitch that her whimzee alligator chew sit on – so is well protected! Although her biggest love is for treats – whenever she hear me in my room she will sit by the cage door demanding treats.

Treacle is living in my ferplast Mary cage, initially I had planned to house her in my mini duna because of her age but everything I wanted to place in the cage just it way to overcrowded. I’m so happy with this decision as she loving all the extra space to run around and burrow in. I am so pleased that I housed Treacle in a different room from Maple when I initially brought her home just so she could settle in before she would be moved into my bedroom – so she was kept away from Maple so she wasn’t exposed to Maple’s nasty bug and she is still healthy and happy – but if anything concerns me she will be taken to the vets just to be on the safe side. Treacle has been a great support during this very difficult time and her cheeky personality has been helping me to smile and laugh which has been very helpful.

This is her current cage set up (photos taken before I brought her home)…

Finally, here is Treacle …

The first 6 photos I took the day of bringing Treacle home, she was a little nervous about her cage but gave everything a good explore …

Owning Hamsters since Nov 2007