Thread: Artemis' thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 06:07 AM  
chesca_27
PM Fluffy for custom title

Smile Artemis' thread

Hi everyone!

From the title, I'm sure you can guess I adopted a new hamster! I've named her Artemis, after the Ancient Greek goddess and she is a Russian Hybrid from Pets At Home. She is estimated to be around six months old and has been living in the Support Adoption for Pets area for the last five months. I'm not 100% sure why she was there but I suspect she was part of a pair that didn't work out and she was brought back as it says she had treatment for injuries in her file. She does have a small amount of ear missing as if she'd been fighting and it looks like she has a scar just below her nose (it looks completely healed though).

I've had her for just over a week now and she seems to have settled in very quickly. She's incredibly tame, friendly and energetic. When I put her in her new cage (Savic Plaza) for the first time she was so excited and spent ages just running around and exploring. She was delighted when she found the sand bath and spent ages digging, rolling and sleeping in there. I've put her wheel in there too, and like Jasper, she likes to sit under there to depouch (is that a word?) her cheeks and wash. Artemis seems quite happy to just let me sit and watch her. I've got another snuggle pouch (Jasper had one too) and I put a few sunflower seeds in there and she just climbs in so I can take her out of the cage to have a run around. She's so entertaining to watch climb! I think she's an excellent climber. I would attach a photo but I've forgotten how .

I do have a couple of concerns (not major) but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good shelves (preferably not corner ones as I can't attach them to the Plaza) that aren't too expensive as she can climb up the bars and it is quite high (Jasper never climbed his bars). Alternatively, can anyone recommend some hammocks and hanging toys that work well for dwarf hamsters. She doesn't seem to chew fabric if that helps? Thank you