View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 04:12 AM  
alpacassei
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Retirement cage for a very elderly Stephano

My oldest hamster Stephano recently turned 2 (so proud of him!). He’s become very weak and frail though, he can’t walk across deeper substrate anymore because its too uneven, he’s struggling to drink from a water bottle, and only leaves his bed for a short walk over to his food. He doesnt even use a wheel or flying saucer anymore.

I turned my hospital/transport cage (the spelos XL entry, around 60x25cm ) into a retirement cage. There’s enough room for his house, tunnel, chews, and water bowl; he actually seems to be more relaxed and happier with his new home!

After I moved him, he had a little explore, then went straight into his house and slept! He’s come out to eat since and he doesnt seem to be so hunched over and nervous as he was in his 80cm cage, which is definitely a good sign!

I left a little area of deeper substrate because he still seems to enjoy burrowing but most of it is quite shallow so he can get around easier
alpacassei is offline   Reply With Quote