Thread: Litter tray
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 03:32 AM  
chesca_27
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Litter tray

I'd suggest sand because some hamsters naturally prefer to use sand as a litter tray and some (mainly dwarf hamsters) also enjoy digging or rolling in it. It does clump slightly when wet which also helps you clean it. I personally use the Tiny Friends Sand from Pets At Home because it's designed for rodents, relatively cheap and easy to store. I can't get the link right now because my wifi is awful, but you can also buy it on Amazon. All chinchilla sand is safe for hamsters, just check it says sand and not dust. You can also buy children's play sand and bake it to sanitise that, but I've never done that so I can't offer specific instructions.

Alternatively, you could use paper pellets, but I don't think a hamster would like that as much because it isn't as soft to walk on. Back2Nature is a good paper pellet bedding and is cost effective, but it is quite a big bag for just a litter tray. I've never used Back2Nature with a hamster, but it always worked well for my guinea pigs (before I switched to Fitch which I can use for both pets).

Good luck with your Syrian!