Thread: Hello!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 02:58 PM  
Xuli
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMB View Post
Congratulations. Hope Xuli settles in well. A sand bath is enjoyed by most dwarf hamsters. You may also find it gets used for peeing in. Chinchilla sand is best for the sand bath.

Fitch substrate is good and can be ordered from the Fitch website. Unscented toilet paper is good for the hamster to have to use for it’s nest/bed.

If your hamster hasn’t come from a breeder, it is likely a hybrid dwarf hamster and they are able to get diabetes, so any food or treats should be sugar free.

Burgess dwarf hamster food is good. You can also give seeds and nuts like, linseed, flax, pumpkin, almond, hazelnuts. I get small packs from the supermarket. Sometimes the are near the baking isle or with the fruit and veg.

Most dwarf hamsters like eating dried mealworms.

Whimzee dog chews are ok for hamsters. They help keep the hamsters teeth from getting too long.

If you have a look at the Let’s see your cages thread. You can see some Barney cage setups. You may need to adjust how the cage is setup once you see how your hamster uses the level etc.
I picked up some Tiny Friends Farm bathing sand today and I love the look of the ceramic critter bath by Kaytee. Any alternatives?

We're using the Carefresh confetti as the sub for the moment, would that be a suitable alternative if I can't get fitch? Yes I agree, she has some cheap unscented loo paper as bedding now and the empty tube to play in.

I was thinking that after I posted since she does look like both Winter and Campbells. I bought her from Pets at Home. I felt a bit more at ease since the lady that served us knew about this forum and cage requirements, diet etc. I know PaH get some bad reviews but this staff member was an exception.

I ordered JR Farm Feast for dwarf hamsters, I liked the sound of having some meats included. Not 100% sure if it's recommended. I've noted the seeds and whimzee chews on my shopping list. I knew about the mealworms and the ones I gave Xuli in her bowl today went first.

Thank you for your advice
Xuli is offline   Reply With Quote