View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Chinese hamsters being sold in pairs?

I've had some experience of keeping Chinese in pairs. My first two, who were supposed to have been brothers were sold to me as a pair because I was told they were a social species and being brothers, they were better off left together. At the time I didn't know any different so I went with what they said. Unfortunately they fell out after about six months of living together and I don't want to be too graphic but when Chinese fall out, things can escalate very quickly and sometimes without warning. Two of my current lads Jack and Alex fell out very suddenly at seven weeks old and I've had a mother, who was cohabiting nicely with her daughter for a day or two suddenly change her mind so there is really no way of knowing how long they'll live together for.

The fact that they're already squabbling could be a sign that they are going to fall out at some point so I think it's best to be prepared to separate. Signs that it's more than just squabbling include one hamster being much larger than the other, fur loss around the tail area or the face and obviously any wounds would mean that separation should be done immediately.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your Chineseys. They may not like each other's company very much but they can be very loving towards their humans.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote