Thread: A new hamster?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 11:57 AM  
dreamtree1234
The Cuddler of Cuteness

Default Re: A new hamster?

Welcome back, Sazzle. You were greatly missed. I can totally understand you being concerned about reusing a wire cage after Willow's passing due to the tragic, jaw injury. That was so heartbreaking; hugs to you. I'm glad that you are now considering giving another wonderful hammy your love and care. Any ham will be so fortunate and blessed to have you as his/her ham parent. I have never personally had a glass tank/terrarium as my hammy's habitat so I can't really give you any specifics. I do know that many ham owners get theirs from a pet store in either the fish or reptile section though. They usually try to acquire the one with the largest dimensions so their hammy has enough room to explore in as well as have space for sand bath, toys, wheel, house, etc. I would also suggest being sure that there is enough height for the tank/terrarium you choose so it has enough clearing for your upright wheel and a lot of substrate. You will also need to have a very secure wire mesh screen or lid to prevent potential escapes. The dimension in the square holes of the lid will be determined based on the breed of hamster that you choose. Also, I would suggest using heavy duty Velcro to secure your water bottle to the glass wall. This works great; I use it on my bin cage for Eros. I wish you the very best in your search for another hammy to add to your life and the perfect tank/terrarium, too. Have fun getting everything ready and bringing your little ham home. I will be looking forward to meeting him/her.

"...she fell into a deep sleep, and dreamed the dreams of the dreamtree." ~Stephen Cosgrove
Mum to Duchess. Fur Angels Eros007, Arwen, Hinata & Snickers 4Ever.
dreamtree1234 is offline   Reply With Quote