Thread: Mealworms
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 AM  
Razor
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Mealworms

Mealworms is an excellent source of animal protein for hamsters. Both dried and live mealworms are good, although if you choose live mealworms, you will have to pinch the head of the worm before you feed them (or else they bite!). I don't think the brand of mealworms really makes a difference since the worms don't have any additives to it. I use the dried mealworms from Trixie that is usually found in the reptiles section.

As for how often to feed them is a highly debated topic. Some say once a week, others as an occasional treat, while others say everyday. I feed my hamster 2 mealworms every day, and I feel it is the right amount for her. To be realistic, if your hamster was in the wild, the odds are they would easily eat worms or insects on a daily basis. I wouldn't start at a daily basis immediately though. I started at every third day, and slowly increased it to everyday.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote