View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 02:21 PM  
Baron
Hamster Pup

Question Switching from the Borneo to a Detolf?

At the start of this year I picked up a very lovely Syrian hamster girl, named Ray. The story in bulletpoints below:

-She was housed inside a Barney from Zooplus.
-Ray quickly became tame, so after a week of two she was allowed to play inside the playpen.
-She doesn't bite and climbs on your hand.

-After a month or three she started to become restless inside the barney, so i tried giving her more floor time.
-This helped, for a bit.

-After the first succes with a Borneo XL cage (120 by 60 cm) I decided to order another one and some new toys/big silent spinner for Ray.

-She absolutely loves the space she has. In the beginning she had about 10 inch of bedding all over the cage.

-Then, she started to become restless again. She started to barchew and even chewing a corner of the Borneo! I blocked all the corners with homes and a sandbath. Even gave her an extra spare wheel.

-I revamped her cage, added way more substrate. (It's around 16 inch now)
Changed some toys, I also do scatterfeeding with her. She got a digging box filled with a different substrate for enrichment.

-This helps for about a week or two, then she starts to get frustrated again.

So...now I am wondering about something. She seems to love digging, would she be happier in my Detolf? Its around the same size considering floorspace as the Borneo. With a hamsterscaping type of setup?

Or does anybody have some more tips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180509_235941.jpg (2.06 MB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20180509_233648.jpg (1.66 MB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20180509_235050.jpg (1.23 MB, 33 views)
Baron is offline   Reply With Quote