View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 PM  
atsui
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Cheap diy/ store bought hamster cages?

Ikea Samla bin for a DIY is the CHEAPEST suitable house for a hammy i can think of. Ikea i imagine would be available where you live and where I'm from the bin is $25 CAD! make sure you get the big one thats 30¾ x 22 x 17 inches! It gives you just over 4300 sq cms of floor space, a little above the minimum. As for something bigger, the Ikea Detolf is amazing as a hammy enclosure. This is the one im planning on upgrading to! its actually a glass door cabinet, but when flipped on its side without the shelves assembled, gives your hammy a huuuge over 7000 sq cms of floor space! thats well above the bare minimum of 4000 sq cm Its $60 CAD. I am super against bar/store bought cages, mostly because 90% of them are far too small to house an animal, the bars can be nibbled on, causing teeth damage, and they are sooo expensive! i dont know of a single store bought cage that meets the space requirements and is affordable! If you really want a good looking enclosure, consider the Ikea Detolf or an aquarium. 40 gallons and up for aquariums tend to be suitable for living. Hope this helps! i know it can be hard finding a good place for your furry friend when youre on a budget