View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 04:07 AM  
Velle
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Flora & Mallow; Taming, Nervousness and potentially deaf?

Hello all!

It's been a while since I updated on Flora & Mallow So there's been very little progress with the two, but we're starting to understand their personality a lot more. We also did a sex check with a glass and found out they're both boys! We don't really mind, and decided to stick to their current names. Also I haven't got any recent photo's of them, I've kind of just enjoyed watching them do their own thing.

I guess we'll start with Mallow, since he's come on a little bit more than Flora has. So this is Mallow's current set up with a lot of digga-digga potential which he is really appreciating. He appreciates sand a heck of a lot more than Flora does, so I bought some of the tesco's kid sand and baked it all until it was completely dry. We also bought a medium cat litter box to fill it up with, it's pretty deep, and also quite a good size. I see him in there most nights having a blast. On the left side of the cage there is what we call 'Mallow Mountain' which he sleeps in and stashes his food. When he gets too hot he moves up to the gerbil house to have a kip in.

Mallow seems to be more likely to be semi-tamed than Flora is. He's started to come out and greet us when we open his cage now, and really loves a coconut flake. I managed to lure him off his wheel with a promise of a mealworm too, so he's trusting us quite a bit. We've not attempted to handle him and we don't touch him either. He does sometime use our fingers as support as he munches though.

1.jpg

This is Flora's set up which we've dubbed the 'Trash cave'. He's very sensitive about being seen and will flee if he sees us from his cage. He seems to be OK with us talking to him but we're not allowed to see him. He really appreciates his Bear Hut and we've installed a big ol plastic guinea pig tunnel around the back of his cage into his cube. There's also enough of a gap for him to squeeze out directly from his cube into the main area of his cage too. We popped in that drink holder from McDonalds to see how he likes it, and apparently Flora sees it as the best hamster toy ever (jeeze, thanks dude for appreciating the money we put into your cage )

His bedding is overall very deep compared to Mallows since he prefers to dig in bedding than in the sand. His Sand dish isn't massive either since he prefers to bathe and then bury it in bedding. I don't really see a whole lot him since he's so nervous but it's like a hurricane in his cage in the morning and I hear him get up for a drink in the day so I'm going to assume he's fine.

2.jpg

3.jpg
Velle is offline   Reply With Quote