View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 11:56 AM  
TinyTinaTrash
Newborn Pup

Unhappy All My Hamster Does Is Bite.

Hi there,

Recently (1 week ago) I brought my second hamster home. Over the past few days he has made himself at home inside his cage and become far more comfortable with my presence around his cage as I've visited it time and time again. I can tell that he's an energetic hamster.

Now I've tried several times to take it to the next level but it is literally too dangerous! I'll go near his cage and he's not even reluctant - he's alert and gnawing on the bars begging to come out - but despite that I can't even let my hand more than an inch near him without it nearly being bit off. I've tried everything - I've put my hand gently in his cage with a treat on it and what does he do? Well. He must think that my hand is far tastier than the food clearly, because drew a lot of blood. Every single time I go near him my hands are freshly washed with unscented soap and wiped on my clothes to ensure I smell only of my scent. I've tried petting him, which only worked once because he didn't even know I was doing it. He'll take food from my hand and that's about it. And because of this, I'm unsure of how to clean his cage without getting hurt...

It's quite upsetting really. I've been speaking to him gently and trying this for five days now, and I'm only getting more cuts on my hand. Is he okay? Because I honestly don't think this is 'normal' when it comes to taming hamsters, and I've had no troubles like this with my previous hamster.
TinyTinaTrash is offline   Reply With Quote