View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 01:23 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Our Tadpoles :-)

We recently caught some tadpoles in local river. They were in a bucket at first, with a few rocks from the river where we found them - then moved to a lock and lock box - which was a bit big. So I bought a little plastic fish tank and set it up yesterday

The tadpoles seem really happy in the little tank and are doing more. Just goes to show enrichment helps all little critters! In the bucket and box they just sort of sat there. Since being in the little tank they are having great fun. They really like the gravel and lie on it or occasionally stick their heads in it and kind of "dig" a bit. They are swimming around a lot more and doing acrobatics. And one of them seems to like to suction him (?) self to the fake rock with the holes on and hang off it.

It is a very long time since I had any tadpoles (as a child) and didn't have much success then. I have been feeding them small bits of boiled lettuce or spinach but read that they become carnivorous when they start to grow legs and can eat each other so that is the time to introduce additional food. I bought some Daphnia (mosquito eggs?) and they seem to like eating that. And some second stage tadpole food. Plus a weed and some grass with roots on for them to nibble at, which I change every few days.

It'll be nice to see them evolve into frogs I think stepson will enjoy that in the moments he is not being tweeny I think one has little legs forming already hence the added food. We've had them about 3 or 4 weeks and they were asolutely tiny at first. There are five of them so I'll keep checking there are still five!

Two of the river stones are still in there, making a step up to the fake rock - apparently they need to be able to sit on a rock and get out of the water as they start developing into frogs to breathe.

Attachment 45639

Attachment 45640

Attachment 45641

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-26-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote