View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 AM  
IamKat
Hamster Pup

Default Re: New Syrian Hamster Behavior

Hey! Congrats on the new ham! Taming can be a bit arduous with some hams, but don't let that put you off, there are still plenty of things to try.

It doesn't sound like he is sick, and sometimes taming can backtrack a little, especially with a cage clean. Plus if you have added lots of new toys his environment has totally changed, and that might have freaked him out and set you back a bit. I wouldn't recommend adding anything new or doing a big cage clean for a while. Let him get his scent over all his new things and bedding, and don't try and handle him for a while until he has done this. Does he just use the toilet in one area of his cage? This can make it much easier and all you need to do is spot clean there, and will hardly ever need to do a full cage clean.

Have you tried a bath taming session? These can be really helpful, you can put some treats in a mug or tube and wait for him to climb in, then bring that into the bath (with the plug in) and allow him to climb over you, whilst avoiding picking him up or touching him with your hands, at least at first. This can be repeated every day or every other day, for 10 minutes or so at a time. One of the issues with a tank is that to come near him you are probably coming down from above, which for a prey animal can be a little intimidating. I'd recommend spending lots of time near the cage, talking, and keep on putting tissue in his cage with your scent on it. Then when putting your hand In the cage just be aware of not coming in above him, and just begin putting your hand in the tank, perhaps with some treats on, but without trying to actively touch him for a while.

As I said, don't let it put you off, some hams can be more shy than others, and some take a while to tame! Keep at it, and stay patient good luck.
IamKat is offline   Reply With Quote