View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 10:56 PM  
jperez
Newborn Pup

Default New Syrian Hamster Behavior

Hi everyone, first time hamster owner here! I am a bit concerned of my hamster's recent behavior. Three weeks ago I got a young Syrian, they told me he was 3-5 months old. At first he (Pancake) was curious, active, ate all his food, came out when I opened his food bags and was even slightly aggressive when I tried to give him treats - he bit me, then I tried using garden gloves. He did not like them and would attack the gloves. Then I started to give him treats with my bare hand, rubbed my scent on his nesting material. He seemed less aggressive last week and would go for the treats, a little tentatively, but he would come out. Seemed like taming was on the right track.

Then lately, for maybe a few days, he has seemed more withdrawn, shy, and scared than he was when he first came home. When he hears me trying to call him he chatters his teeth, which seems like he feel threatened or annoyed. I know he is awake, but he just stays in his house until super late at night when the lights are out. I understand this is nocturnal behavior, but he used to come out for food. He is active on his wheel and eats and drinks enough, his eyes, fur, and butt appear clean of discharge, diarrhea, he is not lethargic (just shy or unfriendly), no signs wet tail from what I could see and understand. He just seems really grumpy, skittish, and different. What could cause a change in behavior? Should I continue trying to tame him? Then again, it has only been maybe three weeks.

A note: I had to do a cage cleaning two days ago, I put him in a ball for a short while and redid his cage (40 gallon aquarium) - added new bedding, new chew toys, a tunnel, sand pit, and litter box. The whole shebang. I kept some of his old bedding and soiled bedding for his new cage, but he seems unhappy, maybe he's not yet used to the change. Regardless, his behavior has changed and I don't know what the cause could be, if he is just adjusting, this is his unfriendly personality, or if he could be sick. Help me understand him please?

Thanks for any tips or advice,
Jeyna
jperez is offline   Reply With Quote