View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 11:39 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Advice on handling my albino dwarf hamster

Hamsters depend on scent far more than sight so I wouldn't worry too much, most Russians tend to nibble a little when they are first beginning to figure out what's food & what's not but that's different to biting & rarely hurts so if he does that try not to react just gently move your hand away & he'll get the idea soon enough.
I wouldn't use gloves, you need your ham to get used to hands & gloves won't help at all.
You could do the tissue trick, put some plain white toilet tissue up your sleeve for a few hours then tear it into strips & put it in the cage, this will help him get used to your scent & you can do that daily for a little while if need be.
I would just treat him like any other hamsters, begin offering him a treat like a mealworm of sunflower seeds in your fingers, just keeping your hand still & letting him come to you then move on to putting the treat on your hand.
If his eyesight is poor then he may startle easier than other hams if he's not always aware that you're there or if you move suddenly so just keep everything slow & gentle & he should be just fine.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote