View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 09:46 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Kerry Terrarium and 80 x 50 (Savic Mickey 2XL) cage comparison

Having recently moved Nugget (Robo) from the Kerry Terrarium to an 80 x 50 Savic cage I thought I'd take the opporunity to compare the sizes and useability of each of them side by side (or rather one on top of the other). This is the Savic Mickey 2XL but it's identical to the Hamster Heaven apart from the bar spacing (and without the tubes).

So if anyone is trying to imagine how much space there is in each it might help.

It helps get your head round "space" seeing them together. As you can see, the Kerry Terrarium at 75 x 45 cm actually has a larger floor area at the base, due to the Savic's cage base sloping in at the bottom. The Savic cage however is almost 2" longer and 2" deeper at the top.

So basically the floorspace is about the same once you've got about 3 to 4" of substrate in it. But If you filled the base of the Savic cage almost to the top (eg 5" ish) it would have greater floor area.

The main thing I found is that the Savic cage feels bigger in that it's easier to fit more in because the top of the cage is 2" deeper and 2" longer. So when fixing wheels and platforms etc they sit further out and allow more use of the floor space underneath - if that makes sense. It has a greater feeling of space once substrate is in. And there is actually a bit more floor area to fit in houses and toys etc once substrate is in.

They are both about the same height. Overall I prefer cages - the ventilation, the front access and the use of bars for attaching things like wheels and shelves. Tanks look lovely but there is a glass wall between you and your pet and only top access. This is fine for a tame hamster really though, who is happy to come out.

That little bit of extra space makes me think an 80 x 50 cage is better unless you really need a tank. But I still think 100cm x 50cm cage is the sweet spot for enrichment capabilites and enough space after items are added.

It really doesn't look that much bigger but when fitting things in a cage and setting it up it can make a bit of difference. On the other hand the straight sides of a tank make it easy to fit platforms on legs and other items right up to the side of the tank without any gaps. But it still seems a bit smaller inside (although still a good size).

I didn't get on with the Kerry Terrarium very well - maybe because I'm used to cages but also it was the combination of the size and the top entrance. A longer tank with a top entrance (eg 100cm) would be easier to get your arm in at an angle and to do things inside the cage.

But then I love the Savic Mickey 2XL 80 x 50 cage anyway - I just always wanted a 100cm version of that exact cage! Same height - same front door.

As a further comparison I've add pictures of both of them set up with the same or similar items

Attachment 45210

Attachment 45211

Attachment 45212

Attachment 45213

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-27-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote