Thread: Gerbil Needs?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 02:58 AM  
Oreo13
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Gerbil Needs?

Hi, I have two gerbils as well as my Syrian hamster.

You definitely should have more than one gerbil, and even numbers are better than odd. gerbils are better kept in glass tanks. for some reason i don't understand the recommended space for two gerbils tends to be less than whats recommended for a hamster but nothing smaller than a 20g long tank for 2 gerbils in my opinion.

lots of substrate, like 8-10inches and lots of stuff to chew. toilet roll tubes are a favorite with my girls and don't last long. A wheel is optional as some won't even use it. mine have a 28cm trixie plastic wheel, which they love, and don't chew it at all but i don't put anything else plastic in the tank as they chew everything normally.

they're a lot of fun with huge personalities but quite fast and i haven't yet been able to pick them up like others do, but i can put my hand in the tank and they'll run over it. they've never been at all inclined to bite, although i got a little 'what are you' sort of nibble once.

It is possible to introduce gerbils using a split cage, but this works better with introducing a young pair of males to an older one. Girls can be quite territorial.

They really are lovely but since they live from 2 - 4 years and require different things from a hamster i definitely wouldn't get one just because they came with something.
Oreo13 is offline   Reply With Quote