View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 AM  
AprilBird4
Newborn Pup

Default Iris Christmas Tree bin cage help/pointers/suggestions

I am to make a bin cage for my daughter's hamster (not yet here). I've done a lot of research, but I find old info and conflicting info and daughter has also changed her mind from dwarf to Syrian for the 'type' since I started and so have started again.

I have 2 Iris Christmas tree bins. One purchased specifically for this and one 'acquired' after the fact. Thought I might need it for 'something'. I am also willing to purchase other bins.

Specific questions:

1. Wire mesh. Inside? Outside? On the sides? On the ends? Both? Not at all, only on the top?
It made sense to me to put it on the outside so there was no chance of the hamster getting hurt where it was cut, but then I realized he/she could chew on the plastic where the holes were cut. I found conflicting Tutorials.
Originally a dwarf was planned. Now she is leaning toward a Syrian. I wanted to provide as much ventilation as possible and was going to cut areas in both the side and the ends. But now I know I need deeper bedding and the Iris isn't that tall to begin with. What is the best approach to provide good ventilation with this bin for a Syrian?

2. Cage depth?
The top for this cage opens in half and has the built in storage area. I like the idea of that to store things. I thought I could keep that and cut the other side of the top for ventilation. Will this give me enough depth for the larger hamster on that side? I also have the lid from the 'acquired' bin. It is all one piece and no storage area. I could make this into the top with ventilation. Back to ventilation....Is it enough to only be at the top?

3. Connected bin
Not sure I really want to connect to two Iris bins. The humans need living space also But how could I connect it or any other bin? I was thinking a connected (via tube of some sort) to provide a nice deep place for he/she to burrow. Do you suggest it?
AprilBird4 is offline   Reply With Quote