Thread: To Pippa
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 PM  
cherub
Newborn Pup

Default To Pippa

The day my dad and I drove 2 hours to get you was the one I remember most last summer. I had spent weeks researching hamster care and eventually mustered the courage to call and make an appointment to adopt you. When we arrived I was taken to see you in your terrible tiny ferret cage, that wasn’t even big enough for you let alone a ferret. When the shelter lady picked you up then dropped you because you bit her so hard my heart stopped and didn’t start until you were scooped up in a plastic Tupperware container. The lady smiled sheepishly and said since I came from so far away you were free. You were the last hamster of the 70 that were taken to the shelter and your time without love or attention hardened your tiny heart, but I tried so hard to make up for lost time. I gave you good food, fun toys, and comfortable places to hide. You gave me the joy of your existence. As sad as I am now, I would be even sadder knowing you died in that terrible cage unwanted by the world. You inspired me to draw and write, but most importantly that I should love despite knowing I’d get hurt. I knew that too soon it would end like this, that you’d be gone, but despite that I persisted and gave you my heart. Someone once told me that as soon as you come to care about a hamster they die, but I don’t think that’s entirely true. I didn’t know you for very long but I loved you from the beginning, and that love made me truly happy. Thank you Pippa.

And now she’s in me, always with me, tiny hamster in my hand ❤️

September 26, 2016-April 4, 2018

(Originally posted on my blog the day of Pippa's death but I want to share the memory of her here now that I joined the forum)
cherub is offline   Reply With Quote