Thread: Rats
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 AM  
Baron
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Rats

1. Do you need to have more than 1?

YES. Sorry for allcaps. But, they are really social animals. They do so much together. Grooming, playing, sleeping together, you name it.

2. Are males or females friendlier?

Males tend to be a bit lazier, but both males and females I've had a very friendly. Right now some of the females seem a bit more cuddly then the males.

3. Are there different breeds/varieties of rats?

Dumbo and standard ear, different types of coat, like Rex and even naked ones.

5. Do they bite/are they often aggressive?

Not if they are from a good breeder or person who didn't mistreat them. I have a few boys here that were basically kept in a bincage like setup and not really used to hands. They didn't bite, but were very timid and anxious, freezing and hiding when I entered the room. But also very curious once they got to know me.

6. Do they need a wheel?

You can try offer one, but males tend to not really do anything with them. It's the doe's that like to run in them, from what've seen here.

7. What type of bedding is best to use for them?

No woodshavings, very bad for their lungs. Hay's also not recommended.
I use cardboard I buy in 20 kilogram bulk. Toiletpaper for nesting.

8. What is their temperament like?

Very curious, intelligent animals. Playfull, love to explore. They also like their humans and will climb all over you, crawl under your clothes.

9. What is your recommendation on rats?

A big yes, if you have the space and are looking for smart, adorable companions.

10. Do they have depth perception? For example, I know that hamsters don't and that you have to be careful when letting them play on your bed or on other surfaces. Example: Could you let them run around your bedroom with supervision? Or do you generally just let them sit in your hands?

They are very good climbers, so a higher cage is no problem with these guys.

Free roaming is possible, since they love to explore. If you have a room where they can't get behind things like wardrobes and stuff, you can use this. I have a tiny hallway from which they can't get out, unless I leave the doors open. So they can freeroam.
Baron is offline   Reply With Quote