View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 AM  
IamKat
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Unknown illness!?

Thanks a lot guys, good advice. It's also good to know it's not blood!

Hmm well I replaced her bottle with a water bowl to rule out bottle rubbing, and have never seen her rubbing that area of her body elsewhere, although this could happen whilst I'm asleep. The tea tree is hamster safe of course, since she doesn't like it anyway I'll not bother, but I'll certainly try the primrose oil, that's a good suggestion

I've just come back from the vet, they gave her a little gas and had a proper look round the mouth. Fortunately there were no teeth or pouch issues and no abscesses. They also did a urine test which looked ok, and a skin test which came back negative for parasites, so no mites and it's unlikely to be cushings (phew). The vet thinks she has both an eye and skin infection causing the itching and subsequent bald patches, so she is now on antibiotic oral drops as well as continuing with the eye drops. If there is no improvement I'll certainly be back to the vets.

I've never had a ham with a skin infection before so have no idea how this has happened!? Could this still be allergies? And do you think her sand bath should be removed for now?

Also, would anyone recommend any probiotics whilst she is on the antibiotics? (she is on a strong dose).

Thanks so much all for the advice,
I'd do anything to help her!
IamKat is offline   Reply With Quote