View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 07:50 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Alaska cage review, my experiences with it.

I agree with everything you say there Bayou is gorgeous! I also think it is a minimum for a Syrian really, but it may depend on their personality partly. I also think the Barney or Alexander are better for a Syrian. It isn't just the extra space, it offers more scope for added enrichment and toys to keep Syrians occupied.

I also had a hamster in an 80 x 50 cage and felt the need to upgrade - to a 100cm Barney. And our Syrian, even when elderly with stiff back legs, still used the whole floor space. For some hamsters no cage is big enough!

It's a good starter cage maybe and then see if the hamster is happy or needs upgrading - but then that can mean additional cost to buy a second cage. I agree it seems popular for dwarf hamsters. The Alaska can also be a good holiday cage though as it folds flat so could be transported easily if you go away for a couple of weeks to live or stay somewhere else and need to take your hamster with you.

I always thought of the little white house as a cat! I don't know if it's creepy or not having not seen one in the flesh but I do think it is useless as a house! And not suitable for a syrian as the holes are a bit small and they risk getting jammed.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote