View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: New to hamster care. House advice for a robo.

Congrats on your new hamster, Frodo sounds like a lovely little guy, good to hear that taming is going so well.

The Alaska bar spacing is fine but there are some larger gaps at the corners although those can easily be blocked with cable ties, that's what I did when I when I had a Chinese hamster in mine just in case.
My main concern with the Alaska is the height, it is quite a tall cage & even some robos will try to climb the bars so you have to be very careful how you set it up so there's no risk of falls, it might be easier to get a different cage.
I'm not a fan of tanks myself but not many cages have narrow bar spacing, the Savic Mickey is one option although it is quite expensive & the metal shelf needs to be taken out, you can easily add a wooden shelf or use a large house as a shelf instead, not being a very tall cage once the base is filled with substrate it doesn't really need a shelf tbh. Another good barred cage with narrow spacing is the Grosvenor hamster cage.

If you want a new wheel I wouldn't go for a silent spinner, the old ones are fine but the new ones don't work at all well now, P@H do a similar style wheel which would be suitable for a robo or you could use a wooden wheel (needs to be pained with plastikote water based enamel to protect it from pee!).
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote