View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: New to hamster care. House advice for a robo.

Hi Jack. Welcome to the world of mental robos! The Alaska cage wouldn`t have been my first choice for a wee robo to be honest as I would have suggested going for a Zoozone 1 tank and meshing the lid, but I kept all my single robos in an older style cage like the Zoozone 1 called a Gabber Rex. I never required the grill to be fitted so removed it entirely. Robos remember are ground dwellers as most hamsters are, with the exception of the Chinese hamster which are far more mouse-like than your typical hamster and are good climbers. So unless you have a dog or a cat or other pets like a ferret hanging around, you don`t really require the lid as long as you don`t provide anything high inside the cage where Frodo might get curious and try to get out, but I never found this ever happened with robos as they are too bust scurrying around or wheel running!

The bars on the Alaska could be a bit wide for a young robo yes, so it might be wise to either return this cage for a refund, or keep it for another hamster as you say that would benefit from it later on. The Zoozone 1 costs around £30? online and in some shops. Have a google for one. There is also the larger Zoozone 2 but it`s 100cm long! I'm not sure a robo actually needs such a large floor space when they have a good wheel and enough space in a Zoozone 1.

Hand taming a robo is no easy task and I would say allow plenty of time for this and never to force Frodo into any handling situations. Robos tend to jump and if he was inside a box or in your hand and leapt, he could badly injure himself, so take care that he`s only handled inside his own cage for now. Once he`s in a larger cage, he won`t need to be out on the floor or played with to be honest as robos are very much their own entertainment! They love their wheel (I use medium 6.5" inch silent spinner wheels) and although fast, robos handle them well once they know how to stop!

Hope this helps and I see you are near a friend of mine being near Hamilton!