View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 10:29 AM  
Razor
Adult Hamster

Default Re: First time owner needing advice for Robo

Hi! My experience with my dwarf was a bit, let's say, unconventional? But I guess it worked out pretty well for us. Gaby was quite the nibbler during the first week of taming, but rather confident too. Apart from the tissue trick and running my hands through the substrate before trying to tame her, I usually just let her take a nibble at me. She never bit me, just a bunch series of nibbles. If she bit me too hard, I used to blow very gently at her face (they hate it!). She learnt rather quickly that my hand isn't exactly nibble material and that biting too hard would get an annoying blow of air at her face (her reaction to this was quite hilarious). She stopped nibbling at me within just 3-4 days and preferred sniffing instead, before reaching for the treats on my palm. And of course, until she was confident with my scent and hand, my movements were really slow and always from the ground level. Never approached her from the top since it scares her (gives the feel of a predator).

Now she doesn't bite/nibble at me even if my hand has a scent on it, say after cutting a grape for her or handling a treat or even using a scented hand wash.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote