Thread: Homemade diets
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 AM  
maxhanckel
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Homemade diets

So I did a lot of math and came up with a really, really basic "recipe" based on some of the "recipe" ideas I found mostly on some of the German forums, and some I found on other forums too. It's got a whole mixture of things, including barley, buckwheat, rye, quinoa, rice, wheat, oats, millet, seeds, mealworms, a few nuts, and plenty more.

My protein level came out to 19.7%. I think that protein level is great but this can be easily reduced by removing some of animal/insect proteins. My dwarf is 1.5 years but extremely active - lives in a 40 gallon and never stops moving. My Syrian and Winter White are both less than 4 months old, so I like the higher protein level.

The fat is at 7.4%. I think that's just over the ideal range, but that can SUPER easily be reduced by limiting the nuts. My dwarf won't have a problem with it, my Syrian is very active, but I may limit the nuts for my Winter White because she's the least active of all of them. Either way, their current food is quite a bit lower in fat and increasing fat is harder on the body, so I plan to omit most of the fat content until I know they can handle the increase well.

Fiber - 8.92%. That should be perfect, based on the recommendations I saw, but I know what primarily contributes to the fiber and I can play with that really easily. Their current food is much higher in fiber, so it would be a slow transition to make sure they do okay with that. I play to add in extra fiber initially to help them along, but I also usually have some hay that they can snack on for extra fiber, too.

This leaves my carbohydrate content at 63.98%.

I feel pretty confident in moving forward - there's a good variety of at least 20 different ingredients which I plan to expand on when I can handle doing the math again :P I may mix this up and start offering it as treats.
I will try to come up with something that's a bit closer to their current diet, since there are some pretty big jumps in the fat and fiber levels, but right now I'm just really proud of myself for figuring it all out xD
maxhanckel is offline   Reply With Quote