View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 09:23 AM  
quisp65
Newborn Pup

Question Water bottle bubble lock fixes?

Fixing up my 40 gallon breeder for a Winter White that I'll get in a week. Had gerbils back in the 70s but other than that I'm new to this.

Bought several water bottles because I am having difficulty with leaks and water stoppage. Leaks I guess are the bottles fault but the water stop issue was puzzling me because I was running into if frequent. I'm guessing the surface tension of the water were causing the bubbles to clog the tube and maybe my water quality is causing this issue.

I took a 8 ounce Kaytee bottle that I was having water stop issues and experimented putting soap in it because soap drastically reduces surface tension and Walla!....no more "bubble lock" issue and the water flowed non-stop when I put a paper towel up to end to simulate the hamster pulling water. So I'm guessing surface tension of my water is an issue and the problem?

I obviously can't put soap in the hamsters water, but what else would reduce surface tension? A little lemon juice? I have no idea. I guess I could buy distilled water. I imagine bigger water bottles with a wider nozzle might have less issues.

Thoughts, opinions?
quisp65 is offline   Reply With Quote