View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 06:23 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Cage Size? + Extra Help?

I think that it's important to keep an open mind about caging until your hamster has had the chance to settle in and you get to know more about her personality. I've had some Chinese that have thrived in slightly larger cages and others who have needed something smaller so I really don't think that there is such a thing as a 'one cage fits all'. Most of mine live in bin cages but I've got one who likes his tank and one of my previous Chinese loved her wire cage.

They often love to burrow and they can make some rather impressive nests but I always give them a nesting box so that they have the choice. One of my lads doesn't often use it though and will often sleep underneath his shelf in a nest he's built himself. On the other hand another of my lads is rather lazy and doesn't bother to burrow or make nests and just tends to leave things as they are.

In terms of clean outs, I find that cleaning out too often will upset them and I'll always keep some of the old substrate back so that some of their familiar scents remain and I don't clean the toys on the same day as I give them new substrate. Deeper substrate levels usually allow for a longer time between clean-outs as well as giving them the extra opportunities for burrowing.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote