View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 05:44 PM  
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: All About My Pumpkin

Thank You SunnyOy, CMB and cypher

I too have never had an extendable tunnel chewed to this extent - Sherbet chewed small holes in her when a treat used to get stuck in the grooves as she used to use her as to store her food. I was shocked to see how much Pumpkin had chewed it - I was expecting to see some small holes but not a massive one. Pumpkin has been enjoying nibbling on her nibble pots I don't think she misses nibbling on the tunnel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Does she sometimes get a bit unsettled by the cage changes & cleaning do you think?
Pumpkin doesn't seem bothered by her cage changes and cleans as long as I make sure I keep majority of the substrate in her cage (and mix new bedding through it), leave her sand bath and all her toys have her scent on and most where in her previous layout. I remember one time Pumpkin when was upset with her cage layout and when I returned her to her cage she sat trembling but that when I realised that I had put in lots of new tunnels in which didn't have her scent on - luckily I haven't seen her tremble in a while now - although I also have to make sure I don't do any spot cleaning or alterations to her cage if she awake too as she will tremble then.

A few times when Pumpkin has her hyper days in her heat cycle (equals lots of chewing too) she decided to move out of her house and sleep some where else but then she swiftly moves back into her house.

DIY Knuff Wheel Shelves and Posing Pumpkin

Pumpkin has thoroughly enjoyed chewing things up recently in her cage - and Monday night decided it was time to chew up the cardboard box which I had been using as a wheel stand for her wooden wheel as it was in the way of an important tunnel - she had chewed one of the edges off making it quite unstable. So it prompted me to make some wheel shelves - at first I thought I would have to buy wood. When I removed the her wooden wheel and replaced it with her plastic wheel when trying to come up with an idea - I had placed the wheel on one of my knuff shelves and that when the idea came to me, to use the side of the knuff which I had removed when I made Pumpkin's shelves. Luckily I had 2 available so Wednesday I manage to make both wheel shelves and was very happy with the outcome. After allowing the paint to fully dry, yesterday (Friday) morning I decide to place then both in her cage and they work really well. I did have to make modification to the shelf for the silent runner as it slide around when I spun the wheel - so fixed some lolly sticks to stop the wheel from sliding and two little pieces besides the upright.
Pumpkin has given both shelves a good test tonight from all her wheel running.

I have recently gotten a sprouting kit for Pumpkin so now I can grown her more sprouts - as my most of previous attempts went mouldy when using sand or tissue. It is working really well and I currently have rocket sprouts and some coriander is just sprouting now. Pumpkin got a few piece of the rocket sprouts tonight - they disappeared within seconds - so I think she approves!

This week I have been lucky enough to get quite a few photos of Pumpkin doing some of her iconic poses -

Owning Hamsters since Nov 2007
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote