View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 03:42 PM  
souffle

Default Re: Multiple strokes and slight eye bulging, related?

Hi Kelly - strokes are odd things. If a hammy survives the first 24hrs then they normally will survive and can have various levels of recovery from back to normal to some with major disabilities. They are however prone to have recurrent mini strokes.
I'm wondering if the eyes look bulgy because she has lost weight and body mass during her recovery. You can imagine how an ill person looks and we describe it as gaunt well hammies can look a bit that way too. You sometimes see it in older hamsters as they lose condition and muscle tone. The mini strokes could have affected her facial muscles making the eyes appear wider. That said there can be other things that can cause this including a tumour pushing the eyes out or fluid within the eyes but hamsters are usually quite ill with these conditions and she sounds bright. Sometimes they do have a final time where they do appear to recover so enjoy this time with her while she is doing well. If she is having a lot of wet food and soft food she likely does not need to drink much so I would not worry about not seeing her taking water. It may be an idea to check the teeth and make sure they are not too long and pushing against the eye sockets from inside the mouth but if she is eating hard food it's not likely really.
You may like to weigh her every few days to check she is maintaining weight and not dropping a lot.
I hope she continues to do well but maybe if you are worried I'd take her back in for checking.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote