View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM  
astrid
Hamster Pup

Default New hamster sneezing

Hey everyone,
I finally got my hamster last Friday (December 29). He's a Syrian male, nearly 11 weeks old. He's a beautiful tiny boy and still quite shy.

The day that I brought him home was cold, I took care to make his journey as warm and comfortable as possible. However, I am now worried that he might have caught a cold. I've heard him sneezing quite a few times today.

So far, he has been eating, drinking and using his wheel. From what I've seen, his eyes, ears and nose seem clear of any discharge (I have only observed him from the outside of his cage, he's still very timid and skittish around me).

In his cage, I use a mixture of hemp (Hugro) and paper-based (Fitch and Carefresh) beddings. He also has a sand-filled (Tiny Friends Farm bathing sand) litter tray that he uses to dig around in and groom himself.

His cage is in my bedroom (in the corner, on the floor, next to the wall). There's also an air purifier here and a small oil room radiator (to ensure that the temperature doesn't fall too low).

I have not changed anything in his cage other that remove some of the Fitch bedding (as he hid all of his poos there) and top it up with a new layer of Carefresh (it didn't seem dusty at all).

Sorry for the mahoosive post, I just wanted to try and provide as much info as could be needed. I am just really worried about my hammy sneezing. I have money to bring him to the vet, if it is the best option for him. I just wouldn't want to cause him any more stress (as he is still settling in, and still quite easily spooked, and stress can be so detrimental to their health, especially a young Syrian). I would really appreciate any advice.
astrid is offline   Reply With Quote