View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 04:36 PM  
Stardust79
Hamster Pup

Default Heartbroken, and I may of caused it.

So I posted 2 weeks ago when Cookie had Wet Tail, or diarreah. She was treated at home after seeing the vet. She was on 0.3ml of Baytril for 7 days, in her water bottle with pro biotic mixed in her water with it. Her course of Baytril ended Friday night and she had recovered. Was dry, eating and drinking normally and playing on her wheel. Monday her diarreah was back, so I dropped 0.7ml of Baytril on a tiny bit of hard boiled egg, called the vets the next morning (Yesterday) They said continue with the baytril for 3 days. Last night she drank 10ml of water in a matter of hours, looked unsteady on her feet, but otherwise was eating. I dropped more baytril on a little egg and went to bed. Woke up today and gasped that I realised I gave her 0.1.7ml of baytril, checked on her and found her passed away under her bridge. She had eaten all of the egg. I feel so sick that not only did she pass away, but what is really hurting me is that I may of caused it by accidentally giving her too much Baytril. I don't know what happened. I looked at the syringe 4 times last night, as I always do out of paranoia that I am giving the correct dose. I don't know why I drew 0.1.7ml instead of 0.07. The vet didn't discuss doses with me yesterday, and the dose changed 3 times during her treatment as it was going in water, then it wasn't. But I am in bits. To think I killed my beloved hamster. I know for a hamster so tiny, a roborovski, that amount is way too much. It appears that all she did when I went to bed was eat the egg then pass away, as there was no sign that she had been on her wheel or touched her normal dry food. Am so heartbroken, and what is so much worse is I truly believe my mistake killed her. RIP Cookie