View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 04:01 AM  
My hamster Zinky
Newborn Pup

Default Re: How to stop bar chewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I wouldn't put any kind of nasty tasting thing on the bars weaving cardboard can help. But it would be good to know why he is doing it. Has it just started or has he always done it?

As Fluffagrams said it can be something he's not happy with in the cage - eg the wheel not working properly. There are other things too - if there isn't much substrate, or if there isn't anywhere dark to hide away (eg a large enough house or under a shelf).

Another thing can be cleaning out too often, which stresses them. As the others say, a photo of your cage set up might help give some suggestions to help him settle.

Or - he could just be a chewer and have developed this habit. Some changes might distract him if they're the right changes.

Or just a very active hamster who wants more space at night! But I think if they're happy with their set up and have a good wheel, they don't really want to get out of it at night. What size wheel do you have? If it's too small he may not be using it as a wheel that's too small can cause back pain - and then he won't be getting enough exercise which could lead to pent up energy and bar chewing.
I haven’t quite got to grips with the picture option yet, so unfortunately can’t put one on here. But the cage has lots of running and climbing space as well as a flying saucer which he doesn’t really go on and a wheel, which is a silent spinner. It is 9” so it doesn’t bend his back when he runs.

He has stopped chewing the bars now and is instead chewing the metal suspenders of his hanging bridge. It doesn’t make too much noise, but I worry that it isn’t good for his teeth (I’m sure it’s probaboy fine though). Last night he was chewing his actual wheel. He doesn’t seem to want to chew the wood and cardboard that I put in there, perhaps my hamster doesn’t like soft things to chew?

Also he’s about 5 months old now, I’ve had him for 2 months. He seems to like his cage and his house is just a pile of bedding in the corner under a shelf (he prefers that set up to the actual large house that came with the cage!) and has quite a few hidy holes.

I think that, seeing as he has stopped the bar chewing now, and is now chewing other things that aren’t wood or cardboard, it’s kind of problem solved? Unless metal and plastic isn’t a good thing to chew.... George has got some more toys coming (a chew shelf and a wooden bendy bridge) so he may like them. Thanks!
My hamster Zinky is offline   Reply With Quote