View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 PM  
Cricetinae
Hamster Pup

Default 2017 DIY Cage Project, Mounting Plexy?

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of creating a DIY cage using melamine faced chipboard. Nothing too original, borrowing from other a number of ideas online. I intend to mount in on castors for quick moving, whilst hoovering. The cubby-hole's are designed to snugly accomodate IKEA storage boxes. The face is plexy.

However, I'm not sure how to mount the 4mm plexy. A having the plexy rest flush on the face is the goal.

My concern with drilling, is that the chipboard is only 15mm wide. To mount the plexy flush with the chipboard would require drilling around 7mm from the edge of the plexy, causing cracking. I considered having the plexy 30mms longer than the length of the cage, and drilling a safer ~20mm from the edge. However, I'm worried this 15mm overhang each side would ruin the aesthetics.

I was looking at an epoxy, but apparently the melamine face doensn't adhere well? I suppose I could sand up the faces, but given the transparency of the plexy, you'd see this.

Has anyone found any brackets or similar items that have worked for their own projects?

Last edited by Cricetinae; 11-14-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Cricetinae is offline   Reply With Quote