Thread: Boris & Pasha
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 11:39 AM  
BorisPasha
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Boris & Pasha

Pasha update

I think I mentioned on Pasha's halloween photos that he seemed to be ageing (weight loss, a pink lump above his eye, a bit quieter but still going about his hamster business and seemed fine in himself). Over the last week he's been deteriorating. He wasn't eating his food and was refusing his favourite treats. I've been giving him crushed food, soaked food, baby food and although he was eating some, he wasn't eating much but he was still eating his veg. We thought it was maybe an issue with his teeth so we got an appointment at our vet for this Friday (that was the first one we could get with the vet that is good with small animals).

However over the weekend he seemed to decline further and the red spot seemed to be troubling him and he wasn't opening that eye properly. We managed to get a vet appointment at the specials rabbits and exotics vet practise that is part of the vet school in Edinburgh. The vet we seen was excellent, very compassionate and knowledgable. I was so relieved. She had a good look at him and examined him, and believes there is a problem with his kidneys. He was also dehydrated despite eating a big chunk of cucumber and green beans in the car on the way there!

He had an ultrasound and behaved very well, they even let him take his green bean with him. They are 90% sure it is his kidney but it could be an enlarged gut or a distended bowel. He is staying in their hospital tonight and they are going to repeat the ultrasound tomorrow. They started him on antibiotics and painkillers. The vet student called me a little while ago to say he took his medicine well and the special food (I think it's maybe some sort of critical care) from a syringe without a problem. I was sad to leave him there but he will be monitored round the clock so it's a huge comfort to know that he is in good hands.

They are going to phone us tomorrow with an update.

This is a picture of Pasha from June this year, looking immaculate, playing tug of war with my finger. After my sad update I wanted to leave a happy picture of my King Floof.
PashaToW6536.jpg

Bossed around by Artie, Spartacus, Snapdragon, Feliks, Veikko & Delphia.
Boris, Pasha, Jaska & Max playing at the rainbow bridge, forever loved.

https://www.instagram.com/wehave3hamsters/
BorisPasha is offline   Reply With Quote