View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 03:29 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Old little man symptoms - advice needed

Hello. Two years and 3 months is very very old for a hammy and it does sound like he is in his twilight time and may be near the end. All you can do is keep him comfortable.

You could move his food bowl and water bottle near his house so he can reach them easily. Put his normal hamster mix out plus some softened hamster mix in a separate dish and maybe a bit of baby food as well. Plus a bit of cucumber - in case he can't drink easily.

I used to use the lids off the baby food for the soft "extras". So he had his food bowl with hamster mix and two little baby food lids - one with a bit of science selective, soaked in a tiny bit of boiling water (then cooled), but normal hamster mix soaked is ok too. And one with a bit of baby food in. The chicken and pumpkin one (4 months) was popular and doesn't have any unsuitable ingredients in.

Put them as close to his house as you can. He is obviously very tired and struggling a bit so resting some days. But all the while he is trying to get up and do hamstery things, he is wanting to carry on by the sound of it.

Just keep an eye on things. Our Syrian was like this near the end, but eventually he couldn't get up or eat and just didn't go so I ended up having to take him to the vets which I really didn't want to do, but he was suffering by then.

It sounds like your little boy is just near his time maybe but not quite ready. All the while he takes food just keep him comfy xxx
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote