View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 04:35 AM  
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: 31 Days of October

Thank You Drago, cypher, BorisPasha and Thin Lizzy. It was so lovely when she managed to finally trust me it took a lot of patience and I even at first had to set her cage up in the playpen with a line of treats leading out whilst I sat at a distance keeping completely still and silent - I gradually got nearer and nearer to the playpen. I can't forget the feeling when Toffee braved climbing into my hand for the first time luckily I was videoing her at the time and managed to record that very special moment. I to loved Toffee's colouring - she instantly caught my eye when I first saw her as she was a different colour from her sisters. That first photo is also my favourite - it the photo I have framed on my wall and also my screensaver on my computer.

11th – Toffee (continued)

Toffee favourite thing to do was dig and burrow she would spend the most part of the evening when she wasn’t running in her wheel burrowing around in her substrate. It used to be really sweet watching substrate moving as she moved around beneath the surface and then re-emerging. Although sometimes Toffee had other ideas with her substrate, and I would often awake in the morning to a pile of wood shavings on my unit and also on the floor leaving parts of the cage with no substrate at all …
(Please ignore that the cage base says Cookie on it, as when I had Cookie I thought it would be a good idea to write her name on the cage base in permanent marker forgetting how hard it can be to remove later!)

On the 30th June 2014 I had noticed Toffee was showing some sign of wet tail so I rushed her to the vets and they confirmed to me that Toffee had wet tail. My heart instantly sank and I burst into tears – Toffee was given medicine I tried everything I could I help Toffee to fight through a recover from wet tail. But sadly on the 2nd July 2014, Toffee passed away in her nest. She was only around 1 year old. This was extremely difficult to me and I even thought of not getting another hamster as I didn’t want to possible experience wet tail again.

Owning Hamsters since Nov 2007

Last edited by SKB_Hamsters; 10-11-2017 at 07:52 AM.
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote