View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 08:22 AM  
Coco61
GrannyHam

Default Farewell My Little Mocho

11th March 2015 - 17th September 2017.

It was a good long life for my special boy. Mocho enriched my life in so many ways. Because of him, I joined HC rather than just reading threads as a guest. I had started reading when my daughter sought advice here when Dusty became ill. I loved the advice, friendliness and information available here.
His whole life is on his thread and I can always re read it when I want to.
A beautifully bred ham, his temperament and character were a tribute to the remarkable work done by those who are devoted to improvements.
Mocho always seemed contented if somewhat retiring in nature. Handled from the outset, there was no problem with a hand in his cage. He always took treats gently from my hand. Not once, ever, in his life did he bite or even nibble me. Such a sweetheart and indeed a gentleham.
It was a terrible shock when he was diagnosed with Cushings a year ago now. The visible symptoms were awful to contemplate. Thankfully, as you all know, my vet has developed a treatment that hamsters usually tolerate well.
I intend to detail it separately below so that the knowledge can spread to other vets if owners want to do that.
Once the pattern of administering the daily drop of medication was established, he never missed one. I am sure this kept the symptoms at bay so that I got my wish. This was that he would be able to go peacefully in his own nest and with his fur coat intact. Yes, he lived to be a ripe old age so that his fur was thinner than usual but not ravaged by Cushings.

My darling Mocho, thank you for staying with me for as long as you did. I gave you the best life I could and I hope that you were happy here.
Rest in Peace my special boy. You will be missed every day and never ever forgotten.
All my love from your heartbroken Mum. Xxx
Coco61 is offline   Reply With Quote